CHOOSE 1: 3.5k words.
1. To what extent is anarchism a product of the European Age of Ideologies, the rise of the modern nation-state and the emergence of industrialism?
2. What were the connections between William Godwin’s political philosophy and English Radicalism?
3. In what ways did Stirner affect the histories of anarchism and Marxism?
4. Was Proudhon ‘a man of paradox’?
5. In what ways did Proudhon anticipate anarcho-syndicalism?
6. A great thinker or man of action? How did Bakunin shape anarchism in the 19th century?
7. Misunderstood ideological friends or deadly opponents? Assess the Bakunin/Marx relationship?
8. How did science affect the anarchism of Kropotkin?
9. What role did Kropotkin play in developing anarcho-communism?
10. ‘Malatesta’s anarchism was a unique blend voluntarism, socialism and anarcho-communism.’ Discuss.
11. ‘The Lenin of Italy and the socialist Garibaldi.’ Assess the role of Malatesta in the politics of Italy from the 1870s to the 1930s.
12. Assess the role of Emma Goldman in the development of anarcha-feminism.
13. To what extent was Emma Goldman an elitist?
14. How far did the anarchists control the First International?
15. ‘Anarchism was marginalised by the rise of electoral socialism.’ Discuss.
16. To what extent did anarchism become a global movement in the period 1880 to 1914?
17. Did syndicalism provide anarchism a new lease of life?
18. How did anarchism inspire art or education in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries?
19. To what extent did anarchism fall prey to nationalist or militarist tendencies before 1914?
20. In what ways did anarchists partake in the origins of twentieth-century communism and the Third International?
21. ‘Italian anarchism punched over its weight.’ Discuss.
22. How and why did Spanish anarchists survive and prosper from the 1870s to the 1930s?
23. ‘Government anarchists’: discuss the paradoxes of Spanish anarchism during the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939).
24. Compare and contrast classical anarchism with anarchism after 1945.
25. What is post-scarcity anarchism?
26. What is the relationship between post-anarchism and post modernism?
27. What is the relationship between new social movements and post-1945 anarchism?
28. What is the connection between the Global Justice Movement, the Occupy and Square Movements and anarchism?
29. What is anarchist primitivism?